View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 02:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
BTW, the size of those Bic red pens I use is perfect--they're not too thick, but more importantly, they're not too long, so they just barely stick out of my shirt pocket.
My association UIC once asked me, "Manny, do you know why umpire shirts have pockets? It's so you know where to iron your Virginia High School League patch."

Seriously, I don't like putting anything in that pocket. I'd much rather keep my red and blue (on the off-chance that a coach hands me a line-up card in red ink) pens in my ball bag with my lineup card holder. And since the holder is too big for my shirt pocket to begin with, everything is in one place in the bag.

Also, I wouldn't want to have to deal with a huge ink splotch if I should get hit in the chest with a pitch or foul ball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker