View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 07:27am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Manny, I think you are missing the point. Trailing part way to first isn't a problem, of course I do it, That's the job.

I'm talking about taking the batter-runner solo from home to first, then second, third, and possibly home, because BU chases a ball that was down off the bat, and it gets past F9. Meanwhile, BU is looking for a place to sit watching me run the bases for him, or else making meaningless and redundant "safe" signals while F9 chases the obviously uncaught ball.
Maybe we are talking on different frequencies. When I said "trailing", I didn't mean just part way up first base. I guess I should've said "taking responsibility for the BR the whole way."

I, too, feel the same about obvious uncatchable balls. It is a little irritating to see a partner turn his/her back to watch a line shot the easily gets through the F8-F9 gap.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker