View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I will go on record as disagreeing with the chase decision. I personally think that base umpires chasing because of the less than 1% catch/no catch situation that the plate umpire MAY not clearly see (but HAS to judge any other fr*cking time the same ball is NOT in a chase area) compared to the probably 50% or more liklihood of a play at the bases that plate umpire can NEVER get in good position for, let alone the possibility of multiple plays on multiple runners, multiple appeals for leaving early, missed bases, etc..

Yep, put me down for STAY HERE AND BE A BASE UMPIRE, not chase that low percentage issue.

Chase with 3 man mechanics, because we now revert to two man, OK. Chase in 2 man, better be one or no runners in my game.
I will agree with Steve here. In two umpire mechanics, my training has always been that, yes, the BU can chase whenever s/he feels it necessary, but with multiple runners, it "shouldn't" be necessary.

I will also stick up a bit for the PU here, speaking as if I was the PU. It is entirely possible that when this ball was hit, the PU saw that it might be a trouble ball, and focused on the fielders and the catch/no catch. He may not have picked up the the BU chased. If I was PU in a two umpire system on this play, I would not expect my partner to chase with 2 or 3 runners on base. That being said, I would still be out in the infield toward where the play was made and not standing behind the plate.