View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Curious why you would say this. He said, "The ball bounces off the LF's glove near the wall." I can't imagine NOT going out on such a ball could possibly be the right answer. I'm not exactly famous for taking chap's side on this site... But in this case going out had to be right.
Mike.....

Where I was going with the question I posed to the OP, was for me to get a better understanding of the sitch at the start of the play.

I'm BU, I know from the OP I've got 1 out. 2nd & 3rd? or bases full (still don't know). With bases full, if I have to chase, I need to be aware that my PU is going to have a lot to cover....even if from a positioning and mechanics standpoint he does everything properly.

Certainly, "ball bounces of LF's glove near the wall" is trouble and requires recognition and reaction by the crew....BU chasing PU recognizing that he is now responsible for BR and three runners; or BU button-hooks into the in field, PU taking the catch no-catch, BU picking up his base runner(s)/BR responsibilities.

What's the point I'm trying to make???

I've got no problem with the chase by the BU, I've got no problem if he chose not to chase, and maybe as implied in the OP the PU didn't do enough on his end of the play. But with basess loaded (?) and the BU chasing I think that the best the PU could have to done on the call at 2nd, (assuming the speed at which the play developed) was a calling position somewhere in the area between HP and the circle.

Maybe in this sitch the PU isn't advanced enough in his mechanics to realize OK, I've got three runner crossing the plate and I've possibly got another play I've got to get in position to cover.

This was a play with a lot of 'moving parts', depending on the experience and umpiring savvy of the crew, not an easy one to properly cover. The PU's coverage wasn't correct, but IMO he's getting tossed under the bus a tad quickly.

I will disagree with you on not covering this in a pre-game, and apologize to everyone for a rather long winded rambling reply.

Of course this is all.....JMHO.