Thread: OK. I give up.
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Watching and enjoying for the most part, the Women's College World Series. Yes, I find it extremely annoying with all the "cheering" and stuff. Could those players please leave that behind at the high school level? OK, let them cheer. I'll turn off the sound on my TV set. However, will someone explain why they are allowed to come out of the dugouts en mass to greet everyone who is coming home to score? Maybe allow it with a home run out of the park? Even then I suspect the plate umpire must be at least mildly annoyed by it. Forces them to actually look through the crowd at the plate to make sure the hitter has touched the plate. I'd think at this level of play that there would be a little more professionalism. Reaction?
It is another ridiculous coaches' rule. The coach can high-five a runner, but no other player can touch the runner until she scores. HOWEVER, there is nothing in place providing the umpire a clear view of the plate to see the runner score. I don't know why the umpire even bothers watching. And God help the umpire who tries to move the players back to so s/he can see the touch of the plate.

The only way this ever changes is if an umpire simply tells a coach they will NOT rule on a missed base appeal because they could not see.