Thread: Tenn v. Bama
View Single Post
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Assuming this was a missed call by the plate umpire, wouldn't the plate umpire be the one to change his call after consulting with the other umpires? I have always been under the impression, that when umpires get together to talk about a call, the original calling umpire makes the final call, using the information gained from the other umpires as needed.
I didn't see the play you refer to. But one thing that bugs me (and a lot of umpires) is that from 8U to 18U Gold, from JH to Varsity, from NAIA to Div2, from MiLB Rookie to MiLB AAA - both softball and baseball, we are all taught the protocol for changing a call on the field, and it is exactly as you describe.

Yet they throw out that training at the highest collegiate level and highest professional level - so people who know no better think that umpires over-ruling other umpires is the norm - because they see it on TV. You are exactly right about how this SHOULD be handled - and if everything you said in your post happened as you said it, those umpires did all of the rest of us a disservice.

West Houston Mike