Thread: Tenn v. Bama
View Single Post
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Bases loaded. Fly ball about 5 feet onto the grass directly behind 2nd base. CF runs in, bobbles the ball and drops it. They pick the ball up and get the force on R1 going into 2nd base.

To my surprise, I see the 3rd base umpire making the call. 1BU went out on the ball; however, there was no where to go out to. She must have gone out to accept responsibility for the call. Now the 3BU has to fly over to 2nd for the call.

It's rather shocking to me that the NCAA hasn't gone to shared responsibility on catch/no catch regardless of whether the umpire goes out.

Common sense umpiring would mean that 1BU turn to her right, signal "no catch" and then take the play into 2nd base. Why aren't umpires allowed to walk and chew gum at the same time?

When I first got into umpiring, our state mechanics used shared responsibility. It seemed to be logical and as a brand new umpire, I had no trouble using these mechanics. 15 years later, the mechanic is the same for my state and 2500 umpire use it without a problem.

Anyone who believes that there is a close correlation between proximity to the play and correctness of the call has to see the logic behind shared responsibility, without then wasting the umpire.
Where would U3 have been positioned with R1 on 1st?