Thread: Interference
View Single Post
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Rule 5-1-1m says it's an immediate dead ball when a runner hinders a fielder trying to catch a foul fly. Immediate means, well, immediate.

When a runner runs into a protected fielder trying to field a fair fly ball, we don't hesitate slightly to make sure the fielder could have made that catch. Why should a foul ball be any different?

Don't get me wrong. I would prefer to hesitate. But that hesitation equates to a delayed dead ball, and the rule doesn't call for that here.
Big difference between delayed dead ball and a hesitation. DDB means waiting for all playing action to end or at least until something requiring an immediate dead ball. We are talking about waiting long enough for the umpire to take in all the information before rendering a decision.

This is the same type of timing that you have to use when calling a catch/no catch of a fly ball or a force out at a base.. call it too fast and you have your arm in the air signalling OUT when the ball is on the ground.

This hesitation is usually barely noticeable but can be longer on some plays..how about where fielder makes tag with ball in glove on player sliding into her. I may wait longer to make sure fielder still has ball in her glove..

As to a fair fly ball I would submit that yes you still have to have a catchable ball to rule INT. If a runner runs into say an infielder who is running toward to outfield on a fly ball she will never ever reach it is not INT it is OBS.

No way should we end up with INT on a foul fly ball that lands out of play and could never have been an out.

Last edited by UmpireErnie; Fri May 24, 2013 at 05:04pm.