View Single Post
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I spoke with one of the crew members right after the game and he said neither he, nor his partners, noticed the arm continue after release. So whether anyone used common sense and considered the intent of 10.6.5 is moot.

Mikes citing 10.7 appears to make the most sense as far as the rule is concerned. The idea of 360 degrees vs 359 degrees makes a difference is not supported in the book. And she did pass the hip again after release. Had she been attempting the old early release change-up many have seen, the exact same motion after release would have warranted an IP call.

In this case I believe the correct call was made, even if accidentally.
Actually, it isn't illegal for two reasons. Both of which I stated. It is only a dropped ball. There is no full revolution after release of the ball. Believe it or not both matter. You can have a dropped ball with an illegal follow through with the arm, now rendering the pitch illegal. Even though she dropped the ball, it is still a pitch (how else would you be able to call the ball on the batter?) and other restrictions must be met.