View Single Post
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
I don't know the make-up of the UIL (what percentage of the schools are public and what percentage are private), but looking briefly at the UIL's website, I am going to guess that the SCOTUS' ruling in Brentwood Academy takes the "technicality" out of it...the UIL is assuredly "the state". (I am not weighing in on the merits of any legal disputes raised in this thread, other than to say that the UIL is a "state actor" as that legal term is defined.)
I'll bet UIL wants to be considered the "state". If they are "the state", they win. It used to be that you couldn't tell if TASO was "the "state" (they were the "state" authority over officiating) or "a member Asso" (can't use the word "union"-some people bristle). I think UIL wants to be "the state", complete the wrestling away of any remaing TASO "state" authority over officiating and relegate TASO to "a member Asso" only (which they probably can't survive being). IMO, the TASO law suit is their last ditch attempt to regain some "state" status...can't be done.

Last edited by bluehair; Tue May 21, 2013 at 09:21am.