View Single Post
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm having an ongoing discussion with a colleague and I wanted to get the opinions of the board....

What is more important, game management skills or a thorough and complete knowledge of the rules?

I know that both are important for successful umpires, but if you had to pick one at the expense of the other, which one?
I believe they are complementary. Knowing the rules, mechanics, the appropriate interpretation and application and it will lead to good game management.

There are thousands of GAGAs that can manage a game. They make rules up as they go along, often simply to appease whoever is in his/her face at the time, but couldn't umpire a lick if placed in a high level game with loads of stress.

Ever have a game with one of those umpires? You know, the super league umpire that all the teams love and seems like such a nice guy. All of a sudden, they get that big game outside of their comfort zone and freezes when the pressure of the big game is laid at his/her feet? I've known umpires who are superstars in the local HS world, but wouldn't dare accept the challenge of moving on to bigger and better level of the game.

I also find that when an umpire sticks with the mechanics and rules they are more likely to get the support of their own crew than if they go off the grid. Umpires that start getting goofy on the field have a tendency to find themselves on an island as often the partners will not tie up to a sinking ship.

Manage the game with the rules and mechanics and everything will be fine.