View Single Post
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 11:17am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
Actually I am in Anchorage, Alaska. It's been a freaky late spring with these late snows..
It's been a freaky late spring everywhere.

I umpired a HS game last Monday (May 13) here in the Washington DC metro area where the temps were in the low 50s with a pretty biting wind. I had to dig out my thermal wear and jacket from the bottom of my uni's bag to do the bases. There were fans wrapped up in blankets as if it was a preseason scrimmage game, and this was the last game of the regular season for both teams.

That night, we had freeze warnings in the area. I heard on the news this morning that because of those temps a week ago, 20% of the Virginia grape crop was damaged by frost, which will affect wine production this year.

Of course, that only means that when I'm working ASA games this summer, it will be in the 100s with smoking humidity...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker