View Single Post
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Look back rule question

This is another one I had earlier this season.

I was the plate umpire.

B1 takes ball four and runs down to 1b. The catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher who is in the circle. B1 keeps running, rounding first and goes straight non-stop to second base without ever stopping. I see nothing wrong, but the defensive coach argues with the BU from the dugout about the no call since the pitcher had the ball in the circle when the runner touched 1b. The coach gets a response from the field from this umpire and we continue.

During the next AB, B1 (R1) steals third. B2 then draws a fourth ball and runs down to 1b, rounding the base and stopping two strides after rounding the base. She sees that the ball has been returned to the pitcher, in the circle, so she stops and immediately returns to 1b. The BU calls the B2 out for not continuing on to second base. The 3b coach is now yelling at the BU about the call. In two plays, we have had both coaches yelling about calls on the bases.

What calls were correct and what were not. Personally, based on my understanding of the Look-back rule, both plays were legal. Am I missing something on the second play?