View Single Post
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We all know the rule. The debate (and lack of consensus) was whether or not this is judged to be a try.
hmm... I watched it again. It hadn't even occured to me when watching it the first time that this might have been a pass. There was one offensive player in the area that is in position to attempt a rebound if it had been an airball, but I don't like to guess on violations. If I'm not reasonably sure a violation occured (travel, oob, backcourt, etc), I'm not calling something. I don't know how you can be "sure" in this case that it was a pass.

Now if this happened in the middle of the quarter, that's different. But in an end of game situation, a half court heave in the direction of the basket (that hits the basket as added evidence) ... I'm treating that like a shot.

On second look, a couple other thoughts:
1) We can't see the C in the clip. Would his signal (3 pt attempt or not) matter? Perhaps the T saw that the C did not signal a shot, and therefore called the violation.
2) If you're the C and you signal a 3 pt attempt, do you run over to the T and share this with them?

Again, not saying this happened since we can't see the C, but how do you administer something like this. If C signaled something that would make the T's call wrong by rule, what do you do? Is it still the T's call to change, even though the key factor (shot or no shot) occured in the C's primary?