View Single Post
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going by this article. If somebody has another with more information, please share.

Does the UIL use NFHS rules for track? The reporter appeared to "quote" a rule in the video that is not found the NFHS rule book, even mentioning any raising the hands to be considered excessive. That makes me think they are either using a different rule book, or they have included excessive celebration definitions of their own to fit into the following rules.

Rule 4-6-1 describes "Unsporting conduct," which carries a penalty of disqualification from the event and from further participation in the meet. Generally unsporting conduct includes disrespectful, taunting, or flagrant behavior.

Rule 4-6-2 describes "Unacceptable conduct," which carries a penalty of disqualification from the event. This rule covers failure to follow directions, profanity that is not directed at anybody, or bringing discredit to the individual or school.

Neither of these rules include or describe excessive celebration, but they don't exclude it either. I could see some celebrations falling under either of these two rules. But, I have trouble considering a point to the sky or even saying "We're #1" to be either unsporting or unacceptable.