Thread: New Pitcher???
View Single Post
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 01:48pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have the book here and could be mixing rulesets...

But if a pitcher comes in (whether repositioned or from the bench), they MUST pitch to the next batter - they cannot, as you intimate, leave the game and be replaced by some other sub or re-entry until after pitching to 1 batter.
In FED, I don't believe there is a requirement for a pitcher to pitch to one batter. One of the plays in the casebook has a coach requesting to change his starting pitcher right after the plate conference. The book says that is legal, and the reported starting pitcher on the lineup card has one re-entry available.

In NCAA, rule 8.5.2.1 states, "The pitcher may be removed from the pitching position before having delivered a pitch, whether or not the first batter facing her has completed her turn at bat and whether or not the side has been retired." So there is no requirement there either.

I can't answer for ASA, since I don't have the rulebook handy.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker