View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 25, 2013, 03:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
OOO, IMO.

True story: Our LL district hosted a state tournament a few years ago for Big League baseball. One team had a logo on its red jerseys that was just white lettering in a circular pattern. No solid lines, no solid white middle. Just letters that spelled out their local league name.

In one particular game, they took a lead over their opponents. When they came out in the fourth or fifth inning to warm up on defense, the losing team's manager went over to the plate umpire and said something. The umpire then sent the team into the dugout, and informed our district administrator that the losing team's manager had protested that the logo on the other team's jerseys violated the rule on baseball shapes on uniforms.

For those who aren't familiar, when a team lodges a protest during a LL tournament, the final decision has to come down from LL HQ in Williamsport. We waited about 30 minutes or so for all of the necessary phone calls to be made. Finally, the decision came down: Have the team just put their jerseys on inside out.

The DA made that announcement to the team. As they were flipping their jerseys around, the opposing manager came out and lodged another protest. He argued that the players' numbers had to be visible. Once again, phone calls had to be made to deal with the new protest.

When the next decision came down (I think it had something to do with covering the team logos on the shirts with duct tape), the president of the host league opened his league's equipment room, and pulled out some regular-season jerseys to provide to the other team. Fortunately, the opposing manager couldn't think of a reason to file a protest at that point. All told, it took us over an hour to resolve this rat manager's shenanigans.

And, Yes, his team lost the game and was eliminated from further play.
You folks are too kind. After the second protest was lodged, I would've baited the manager and then ejected him.