Thread: NBA officiating
View Single Post
Old Tue May 27, 2003, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Trey --

Here is my perspective. I was a parent first, watching my daughter play for four years. Then I became a ref. As a ref, I've done about 2000 games, and watched another 500 - 1000 from the ref point of view.

Even as a ref, with plenty of experience, watching a ref on the floor who I respect and trust to do a great job, when I am in the stands, I'm questioning (in my mind) about 50% of the calls and no-calls.

So it isn't surprising that fans think the refs are lousy. But take my word for it on this:

If sitting on our butts 50 feet to 80 feet away from the action would give us a better view, do you think we'd be sweating our tushes off, taking the kinds of abuse we take?

And ask yourself this question: If the NBA is going to pay someone $100,000 for six months work (plus expenses), do you think they're going to keep folks that don't do it the way they want!!??!!?? Especially with however many more there are that want those jobs and WILL toe the line?

Now practice these mantras:

He has a better angle than I do.
He's closer than I am.
(when you see a no-call) Wow!! Great defense!!
He's studied the rules more than I have.
He's got more experience than I have.

And this all-purpose reliable --

I'm glad it's not me out there listening to the @#$% people are throwing at the refs!