View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

In terms of leaving a hand on a dribbler/ball handler but that player isn't moving/is moving East-West instead of North-South, here's what was in the 2011-12 NFHS Rule Book under "Guidelines for teaching and officiating."

Quote:
A. Handchecking/Body Fouls.
5) Regardless of where it takes place on the court, when a player continuously places a hand on the ball handler/dribbler, it is a foul.
6) When a player jabs (their) hand(s) or forearm on an opponent to control his or her movement or gain an advantage, it is a foul.
Note: Incidental contact is contact with an opponent which is permitted and which does not constitute a foul. This includes but is not limited to contact which does not hinder the opponent from participating (in) normal offensive or defensive movements.
The continuous hand on a player who isn't moving isn't hindering them but it's not really incidental, either.

I readily admit I fall into the "he's not moving" thing in BV games and when it happens I get annoyed with myself. I don't do it during my GV games because they're under the NCAAW code where there are set guildelines on contact with the dribbler/ball handler (one hot-stove touch and that's it).
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)