View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

This video makes a pretty good argument for the value of the value of "talking players" out of things. Personally, though, I've never been a big fan of this (during live play at least). But I'm curious what other officials think. I know personally that I don't like when one of the first thing out of my partner's mouth in a pregame is "Let's not have any 3 second calls or hand checks where the player can play though."

My opinion is that I'm not looking for hand checks or 3 seconds, but if I see an obvious 3 seconds (usually 5+ seconds by the time you see it and realize the person isn't moving), I'm calling it, no warning necessary. Same with hand checking. I might let the first hands on go, but will the call as soon as I see the offensive player displaced if the defender still is using hands. I think a call early is more effective than a warning.

In the examples here, I think I call something on play #1. It's tough because the defender's hand goes on and stays, but the offensive player doesn't move initially. But when the offensive player gets displaced prior to the pass, I'd like to think I pick that call up and the hand checking stops.