View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:36am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
FED a couple of years ago, at least in softball, did issue a directive about music being played. Have not been able to find the wording yet, but had to do with being intimidating etc. So there is basis for the umpire taking action with regard to the music.
It was in the 2011 POEs:

SPORTSMANSHIP. The NFHS disapproves of any form of behavior intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others. There have been instances noted nationally of the Public Address (PA) system being utilized to intimidate or “taunt” the visiting team by playing negative sound effects when specific opponents come to bat or the playing of “motivational” music only for the home team. When the PA system is used for announcements, introductions, sound effects, music, etc., the presentation should be as neutral as possible. Clear guidelines and expectations should be developed by school administrators and shared with the individuals serving in this capacity so presentations are not viewed as acts of intimidation.

As I read it, there shouldn't be any kind of walk-up music unless it's being done for both teams. At least that's how I interpret "playing of 'motivational' music only for the home team." Not sure if NFHS made this across the board for all sports, not just softball, but I would assume that they did.

So, is that something for umpires to police? If we have a responsibility to make sure that there are no possibilities of things escalating to where they can become unsporting, I think it's within our rights to do something about it without going over the top.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker