View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
ICF -
Long time ago went to a camp and was told "philisophically speaking" to keep the foul total below 40 and each team shooting less than 20 ft's a night and in most situations this will lead to a good night.....20 years later that statement proved right more often than wrong.....

I will now wait for the purists who don't go to camp to bash me
I think a target foul count is a very bad idea. I'm quite OK with low foul counts and have had numerous games where the total count was in the 20's and maybe a few in the 10's. But if the trend is going higher, I'm not going to change the calls so I don't go over some magical number.

In reality, it is the way the teams play, more often than not, that affect the number of fouls committed. If they want to be sloppy and play poor defense, they end up with a lot of fouls and I'm not going to call less just to stay under 40. The game is going to be ugly if they're going to play ugly and pacing your foul count will definitely not make it better....it will probably make the game worse.

What usually happens is that, after a first half of a lot of fouls, most teams that are capable come out and play better basketball and the foul counts go down naturally.

Trying to avoid unnecessary foul calls is certainly a great goal but it is worse to have a nasty brawl just for the sake of having a low foul count.