View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Absolutely - IFF is called out as a specific separate case.
No, it isn't. The amount of runners on is not an issue. The case play happened to have IFF in effect, but same effect if R1 was the only runner.

Case plays on arbiter, from the NCAA rules editor, constantly use the phase that I highlighted: "interference is an immediate dead ball." It is even part of the rule:
Quote:
As a general rule, when on-deck batter, batter, batter-runner, base runner or coach interference occurs: (1) the ball becomes dead, (2) the violator is called out,
Quote:
12-19-1 The base runner may not interfere with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball.
EFFECT—The ball is dead.
Fielders cannot make a play once interference is called: they are "prevented" from catching a fly ball; they are "prevented" from throwing a ball to another fielder; they are "prevented" from catching a ground ball. They are "prevented" from any other action because -- the ball is dead.

Please, please please have your clinicians send me their materials and/or videos. Because they are wrong. All of the clinics that I have attended (which include ones being hosted and presented by the SUP) have never made this distinction.