Thread: Professionalism
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I am really struggling with this area and maybe because I am trying to define what "professionalism" means in the context of officiating. I did not have a single coach technical this year, in fact I felt that in most of the games I officiated, I personally did not have those situations where professionalism could be called into question. What's a little frustrating is that I actually felt overall this year, I handled coaches and players much better than in years past, yet my evaluation makes it appear that I got worse. The crews I worked with had very few problems, of course we had a coach here or there where we needed to take care of the situation, but for the most part it was a good year. I try to not put too much stock in this, but this is an area where its hard to read a book on, or study the rules more. Am I missing something or should I just let it go?
Just relax. It's one data point. Coaches will give higher marks for professionalism for people they know and are comfortable with. Aggressive officials always get lower marks in this area when they are new or unknown, and if they are good officials, it is seen as "toughness".

Professionalism is really pretty easy. Earn your money. Show up on time, look good, know the rules, physically hustle/show passion for what you are doing, and treat everyone in the gym with the respect that they deserve. The last thing, and toughest thing, is to be the biggest person possible if someone doesn't show you the respect that you are showing them, while doing your job. You will never do it perfectly every night, but over time, you will maximize how "professional" you are, and my guess is that your ratings in this area will be pretty good if you consciously try to do these things.

Last point, coaches that hold grudges over legitimate T's are not terribly successful and don't last long, as a rule. No different than officials that hold grudges. Coaches and officials that are successful have to work together well. There are exceptions, but they are rare.