View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Text from a local article

The following article was published recently on an online site for local HS sports. I'd like your comments and reactions.

I have additional information that I will share after some replies.
RKB - don't spoil it......

Quote:
Pitchers in need of help from men and women in blue

Apr 4, 2013
One of the better high school rule changes in any sport took place three years ago in softball when the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) moved the pitching rubber back from 40 feet to 43 feet.

The idea was to help bring more offense to the game with so many pitchers able to dominate from 40 feet. Softball is more entertaining from a fan standpoint because run production has increased although I'm not bothered by a 1-0 or 2-1 pitchers' duel which are much less frequent. There were plenty of those in the Dallas Escobedo, Sam Parlich, Kenzie Fowler era of just a few years ago.

However, after viewing plenty of softball games the past couple years and particularly this year, pitchers are in need of some assistance. Assistance that can come only from the men and women in blue. Their help would be in the way of more strike calls.

Several times this season I've witnessed pitchers hitting spots on a very consistent basis that can't be more (if they are) an inch or two from a textbook strike. Their frustration mounts -- some more openly than others -- and invariably they take a beating. Some begin working the other side of the plate and get no relief. We're not talking a foot in or out -- an inch or two either way. HItters have made their way back with the help of the pitching distance adjustment. It wouldn't hurt for strike zones to error on the side of slightly wider than foolproof tight.

Another reason for a slightly wider zone is pitch count. (This issue may be larger in baseball due to the resilience factor), but I've talked to many coaches and an overwhelming number prefer a zone on the liberal side. These are high school kids. Kids aspiing to be Jennie Finch or Justin Verlander -- they are not them. Not right now. Plenty of hitters crowd the plate and many umpires snatch the inside corner from pitchers when tight pitches nearly hit crowders. Those pitches are more often strikes than umpires call.

More coaches are teaching and emphasizing to pitchers to hit spots, especially those lacking overwhelming velocity or a multi-pitch reportoire. The most successful pitchers (softball or baseball) usually are those with more than one pitch. If their command at the high school level has to be pinpoint, it makes for frustrated pitchers, simmering coaches and fans. Most coaches ask for consistency and that's the mark of a better umpires. To that I'd add consistent with a slightly-wider-than-textbook zone.

This is not an indictment of umpires.They by and large do a very good job. My friendly suggestion is a few more strikes would go a long way in approval polls pitchers, coaches, and the sane fan. Can't speak for the insane fan.