View Single Post
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

So far, of what I have seen, the umpires at this year's tournament seem to be doing a very good job.

For those who previously thought of NCAA umpires as robotic, there is pro and con evidence.

On the bases, the umpires almost seem not interested in some plays. That is not necessarily a bad thing. It means they are taking their time, letting the play finish and then making their calls.

At the plate, each umpire shows their individual mechanics. However, I am not a big fan of the umpire pointing at a strike with the right hand as part of the "strike three" signal.

I did notice that F3 for Washington helped lose the game versus Cal by not using the proper mechanics to receive a throw at 1B. This caused the inability to recover when two throws were not on target. Two throws which should have been stopped help Cal score the winning run.

BTW, anyone else noticing that the #2 batter for Cal routinely steps in front of the plate (clearly out of the box) on certain swings?

There is a little leaping going on, but nothing significant.

Any other thoughts?