Thread: 40-0!
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Not me. These kinds of games are going to happen to all of us; it's just the nature of the beast. And I think it's wrong for us to take things into our own hands and purposely make outrageous calls to "get home".

Border pitches and bangers going in favor of the team getting pummelled is one thing. But calling strikes and outs that are blatantly and obviously wrong? Not a good practice. But that's just me.
Not sure I agree with you here. We've all been there, and we know what we're doing when we do it. But he's "taking things into his own hands" when he calls that pitch 2 feet outside a strike... but you're doing the exact same thing if you call a banger incorrectly on purpose. It's just a matter of degree, and your judgement as to where that line is on that day is no more valid than his judgement in his game.

Most teams handle this themselves and call off the dogs. When they don't, I'm not going to denigrate an umpire who does it for them.

I will confess to calling a phantom hold on 3 consecutive plays when an 8 year old football team was up by 50-something and still running up the score with their best player taking every handoff (crap, the middle play of those 3 was a double reverse!). After the 3rd hold, thickheaded coach finally got the point and at least started getting other players into the action. They still scored a few more times, but at least they got tackled once in a while.

West Houston Mike