Thread: Balk Question
View Single Post
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

CDCoach,
Had the same situation with a pitcher the other night. Started with the foot 4-6 inches in front of the pitching rubber, moved into the set position and foot back in contact with the rubber in one motion. to me it was an illegal move based on OBR:
Rule 8.01 (b)
The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his entire pivot foot on, or in front of, and in contact with, and not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and his other foot in front of the pitcher's plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop. From such Set Position he may deliver the ball to the batter, throw to a base or step backward off the pitcher's plate with his pivot foot. Before assuming Set Position, the pitcher may elect to make any natural preliminary motion such as that known as "the stretch." But if he so elects, he shall come to Set Position before delivering the ball to the batter.

This is in a 11/12 year old local league and there is room to warn or caution before calling balks. I noticed it in his warm ups so it was corrected before play began.

This again was my intepertation, open for input from the board. Here to learn too.
Jeff