View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Really? I never realized that. I thought the rules as written had to be strictly complied with, except where state adoptions are allowed. Learned something new...
OK, let's clarify.

To IrishMafia, who relates to ASA structure, a local association equals an NFHS State Association. Each State can adopt their own rules, can interpret their own rules differently; even if it varies from the NFHS official ruling.

Read the preamble regarding state associations may make modifications, and the final block just before the rules start, that all requests for interpretations and clarifications be forwarded to the state association.

Toss no gloves. 1) Use common sense judgment (like the state interpretor telling you it doesn't matter in any case but the pitcher, 2) at worst, say that glove cannot be used as-is by the pitcher, 3) let them cover or change the color of any marking you deem offensive (sharpies do well), 4) use common sense, and 5) did I say use common sense?

Reporting subs has always been something you were to tell the head coach; after all, hasn't that always been the person defined as responsible for all communications? That head coach can delegate that to an assistant or scorekeeper, but we were always supposed to "announce immediately the change(s) to the opposing team." There has never been a responsibility in NFHS to tell a scorekeeper, and I, for one, don't care if the coach tells the scorekeeper, if they get it right. The only thing that matters is the PU official lineup, and what it says.

As a practical matter, it is easy enough to go half way, get their attention, announce in their general direction. If they ignore you, who cares? You recorded, you announced; no longer your problem. And going all the way to them only drags out the game, and gives them another chance to take a private shot, if they are so inclined.

Now, if you can do it all in one clean shot, fine. If they want you to do anything else, your responsibility is to tell the head coach; period. "Coach, we have 5, Johnson, for 7, Smith, in the 5 hole". Done.