View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
That play was a prime example of why I HATE this phrase and really think it should be removed from the thinking of officials doing HS varsity level and above.

What this phrase does is essentially say, if bodies are on the floor and you don't know what to call, just call something and guess. And that's what IMO the T did here. The other two officials, who were in much better position to referee the defense, passed for a reason.

It was a BIG time flop. At the point of contact the offensive player's movement is going up. The defender throws her upper body back to draw the call and was rewarded for her acting job by the official in the worst position to see it. BIG time flop.

I guess the phrase is fine for lower levels of play where you need to remind less experienced officials to put air in the whistle on some plays. But there is no reason that experienced officials should feel the need to HAVE to have a whistle simply b/c bodies are on the floor. As long as they know how they got there and refereed the defense they should be fine.
L passed on this play because the play did not start in her primary so she is not looking at that play from start but seeing the end of it. So it is C's primary and T's secondary. I still stand behind the T's decision to blow the whistle on this play. T gave C every chance to make a call and C did not. I still feel T did the right thing by saving the crew and making the call and I still feel and believe T got the call correct.