View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'll agree with you there. I know we all want to be 100% certain about these things especially given the stakes but...he popped the guy in the spot most vulnerable. As a casual observer it makes you think they discussed it so long to come up with ways not to call a FF2.
I couldn't agree more. Furthermore, I think it's incredible given the video evidence (fist closed, clear upper-cut punching motion that is directed at an opponent) that this was NOT a FF2. Think about this for a second; if the Kansas player did the same thing (fist clenched and punching motion) and contacted the opponent on the head/face would there be any question as to FF1 or FF2? I think not. So then why should this be any different?

NCAA 4-29-2d states that a FF2 "involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme..." I can't think of too many things that are more "excessive...severe or extreme" than a punch to the junk!

I think the officials on this game did exactly as JetMetFan suggests; they looked for a reason not to kick Johnson out of the game and I think that they hurt the game by not applying the rules correctly.

Just my $.02