Thread: Play at first
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
For FED, rule 2-38-2 gives the definition of Force Out. In part, it says, "...or is put out by a fielder who holds the ball while touching the base toward which the forced runner is advancing." There is nothing in there that says the base touch has to be done with the hand or glove while it holds the ball.

Further clarification is in rule 2-62 which covers the definition of Touching. In there, it says in part, "Touching is contact with the ball, equipment, or a person. It applies to a...player touching a base. The term applies to contact with any part of the person or her clothing..."
In no way would I NOT call an out at first in the situation that Rita described.
Except for her "buddy", I don't know anyone else who would either, but it goes back to the fact that no where does it describe a BR's advance to first as a force..

2-24 ART. 1 . . . A force play is a play in which a runner (or two or three runners) loses the right to the base occupied and is forced to advance because the batter becomes a batter-runner.

THEN you have

2-38 ART. 2 . . . Force Out. A force out is a putout during which an offensive player who is being forced to advance is tagged out, or is put out by a fielder who holds the ball while touching the base toward which the forced runner is advancing.

THEN you have

SECTION 2 BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT
The batter-runner shall be called out when:
(snip)
ART. 2 . . . After hitting a fair ball the batter-runner is legally put out prior to reaching first base.

OK, where does it tell me how to legally put out a batter-runner?

You do have 8-6-3, but that deals with a runner... not a batter-runner.

SECTION 6 THE RUNNER IS OUT
A runner is out when:
ART. 3 . . . On a force play, a fielder contacts the base while holding the ball,
touches the ball to the base or tags the runner before the runner reaches the base.

Despite what I just wrote, I'll repeat, if I am the umpire.... SHE'S OUT.