Thread: Pivot Foot
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

the 1st & 2nd scenario is conflicting as the 1st rule would prevent players from doing step through

for the 2nd replay you misunderstood abit. i watch youtube step through is where you do 2 step running for layup after picking up the dribble.

what i'm referring to is when the player picked up his dribble, established his pivot foot (assume left foot) then moved his non-pivot foot so both feet are on the ground, he does what a post player would do turn around using his non pivot foot while his pivot foot is still on the ground, he sees an opening on his far right side. He then extends his right leg as far as he can, left pivot foot leaves the ground 1st then lifts off with his right leg to get maximum lateral distance (so his pivot foot won't lock his distance). Is this legal or does the pivot foot have to leave together or after the non-pivot foot? Because your 1st statement would make it illegal to jump off the non pivot foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A player may not hop or jump, even off his non pivot
foot. That's explicitly ruled traveling in the rules.

Okay, if a player has his left foot as his pivot, he may step with his right foot, setting it on the floor. He may then lift his left pivot foot in a step, and proceed to jump off of his right foot to shoot or pass. That is legal, and it's done all the time in what's typically referred to as a "step through" move. I actually see it more often in girls ball, for some reason.