Thread: JUCO rule
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
This brings up an interesting dilemma that I've constantly faced through the years. Teams dutifully set up their bats (and for ASA or NFHS play, their batting helmets as well) outside the dugout for us to inspect. But while I check those bats (and helmets), I will look inside and see more bats sticking out of bat bags. When I ask about them, I'm given the usual excuse that those are just batting practice bats that the girls use during pre-game warm-ups, and that they'll stay in the bat bags during the game.

Should we require the players to get rid of the bats completely? Often, the bats belong to visiting teams that have nowhere to adequately secure them during the game (there is no press box, the team's bus is gone, they have no fans in the bleachers to watch over them, etc.)

Do you force the issue, or believe the girls when they tell you those bats will stay in their bags?
For ASA or NFHS, I am not forcing the issue (short of a Qualifier, National in ASA, State Championship in NFHS). There is no absolute rule that non-approved bats cannot be in the dugout; no rule actually applies until a batter enters the batter's box with a non-approved bat. Better to not have them where they can be accidently used, but the rule is what it is. Bat checks are a courtesy, anyway; it is still and always the batter's (and coache's) responsibility, not the umpires'.

In any and all collegiate levels, there is a rule (3.3.2) that no bats (other than approved warm-up bats) may be in any team area nor on the field that are not approved for use in the game. Even fungo bats (that aren't one piece wooden bats) must be removed and not used for team warmups once the umpires enter the field. And we are told these are professional coaches whom we are to treat as professionals; and that cuts both ways.

So, I'm sorry, but no option, Coach; your responsibility to know the rule, the effect, the result, and you are responsible for the actions of your team. Remove any and all bats that you are not submitting for game use approval. Your problem if you didn't make appropriate arrangements.

Refusal to do so is an ejection, and we still don't play until your team complies, forfeit if you don't; and an incident report.