Thread: JUCO rule
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:57am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
The correct bat check procedure was followed. The non approved bat was not discovered during the bat inspection. It must have been somewhere else when the other bats were checked. Dave
This brings up an interesting dilemma that I've constantly faced through the years. Teams dutifully set up their bats (and for ASA or NFHS play, their batting helmets as well) outside the dugout for us to inspect. But while I check those bats (and helmets), I will look inside and see more bats sticking out of bat bags. When I ask about them, I'm given the usual excuse that those are just batting practice bats that the girls use during pre-game warm-ups, and that they'll stay in the bat bags during the game.

Should we require the players to get rid of the bats completely? Often, the bats belong to visiting teams that have nowhere to adequately secure them during the game (there is no press box, the team's bus is gone, they have no fans in the bleachers to watch over them, etc.)

Do you force the issue, or believe the girls when they tell you those bats will stay in their bags?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker