View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 04:04am
AremRed

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Quoted from first page -- I am answering using mostly NFHS rules

Defending:
1.If a person does a fadeaway jumpshot and the defender had to lean forward to block, if the lower body made contact (usually legs) with the shooter is it a shooting foul as usually the shooter's lower body extend forward?

This is the subject of a recent thread involving Kobe Bryant and his last second fadeaway against the Hawks. A fadeaway shot is taken for a reason -- so the shooter can create space. If the defender does not allow him to land, or takes out his legs, it is a foul. However, depending on the points of emphasis where you are, a shooter kicking out a leg trying to draw contact should not be called.

2.If a person shoots and the defender jumps for the block and the shooter hand hits the defender's hand is it consider a shooting foul?

If the defensive player is being vertical with his arms I am unlikely to call a foul. If the defender tries to block the ball but gets all arm, that is a foul. In this situation, don't punish the defender for playing good, legal defense.

3.If a person goes for a shot and uses his non-shooting arm to block the defender and contact made, is there a foul? Would it be a foul if the defender hit the shooter's blocking hand really hard?

If the defender is hit in the head or disadvantaged from legally challenging the shot, it should be an offensive foul. In your second question, who initiated contact? If the defender is vertical with his arms, and the offensive player pushes to create space, offensive foul. If the defender initiates non-legal or incidental contact, defensive foul.

4.How restricted zone works as i believe no charging can be called within the zone? So the offense can do whatever they want in the zone? Must the offense jump towards the basket within the zone for no-charging to apply or they can jump from 3-point line and not worry about any charging if contact made within the zone?

As long as a defender establishes Legal Guarding Position outside the Restricted Area, and providing they maintain that Legal Guarding Position, they can draw a charge anywhere on the court, including inside the restricted area. I am not sure how a player can jump from the 3-point line and commit a charge in the RA. Is the player still in the air??

5.If a defender has gained position before the offense and the offense goes for the basket & the defender stays on the ground with arms up, if body contact is made is it a defensive foul? What if the defender jumps up or moved his hands and contact made.

A defensive player in Legal Guarding Position can draw a charge with his feet on the ground, or while in the air. The location of the feet does not matter. A defender who has LGP may jump straight up, have the offensive player initiate contact, and draw a charge whilst in the air. This is rarely called, but I think it is correct.

6.If the offense makes a cut to the basket & the defender follows, usually the offense shoulder would make contact with the defender's chest and usually ends with a bump, is it a blocking foul? Or it's a blocking foul only when the defender suddenly dash infront of the offense when he's about to shoot?

When using our judgement to determine fouls, the easiest question to ask is "was the offensive player put at an illegal disadvantage?" If yes, then perhaps there is a foul on the defender. Any bump is not necessarily a foul, you should read the NFHS section on "Incidental Contact" to better understand what contact is and is not a foul.

7.If the defender jumps late for a jump shot, and body contact made after the ball left the shooter's hand, is it considered a shooting foul or just play on. What if the contact is big for example the defender collides with the shooter after the shooter just landed?

It depends on the amount of body contact. If the defender jumps and lands on the guy, or crashes into him hard, it might be a foul. If the defender is trying to avoid the contact, and the shooter flops, no call. According to NFHS rules, when the shooter lands he is not longer a shooter. Thus, the basket would count if it went in, and the appropriate foul (push, block, etc) would be called and administered.

8.After a shooting foul, if the offense is trying to get a foul in, and gets fouled in the process how would it be interpreted? I know the defender can still go for the block but if there's another foul?

You need to be more specific before I can answer this question. If the shooter is fouled (and the foul is called), but then fouls the defender, it is a dead ball technical foul. It may or may not be intentional or flagrant. If you mean during a shooting foul another foul is called (perhaps a hold on players jostling for rebound position) then the fouls all count. The penalties are then administered in order of occurrence.

9.If the defender goes for a pump fake, jumped (vertical of his position not towards the shooter), the shooter takes this chance and jumps forward into or under him to get a contact is it consider a shooting foul, say if the shooter didn't jump towards the already air born defender there won't be contact?

This is a typical NBA play done to draw a foul. If the defender jumps straight up and the offensive player jumps forward into the defender trying to draw contact, I have no foul. If the offensive player undercuts the vertical defender, I might have an offensive foul. If any defender has Legal Guarding Position and jumps vertically with vertical arms, I consider that excellent defense and do not often call a foul in that situation.

10.How much contact is allowed before you get called for reach in foul?

Going back to what I said earlier "was the player put at a disadvantage?" If the defender swats the ball away with his fingers but had to hits the offensive players arm with his forearm to get to the ball, I have a foul.

11.If a person drives to the basket and jumps, the defender jumps to block, no contacts were made initially but the offense decide to do a switch hand and body contact was made, for example offense arm which he switched to was seriously blocked by the defender's arm/body which obstructed the shot, does it count as a shooting foul?

You have to "referee the defense". If the defense is legal, and the offensive player initiates contact, I am unlikely to penalize the defender, no matter which arm the offensive player shoots the ball with.

12.Is it possible to call shooting foul or other foul should significant body contact made only AFTER a shot has been released?

Yes, it is possible. If there is significant contact made, there might be a foul.

13.Is it possible to call Goal Tending on a Dunk?

Yes it is. If the offensive player has the ball in his hand, and it is blocked, it is a good block. Once the player releases the ball during the dunk attempt, it is like any other try and can be goaltended. However, most of the time the offensive player keeps his hand on the ball all the way to the rim, and thus can be blocked up until the release.

Last edited by AremRed; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 05:36am. Reason: fixed the dunk thing