View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I just do not think this very specific case would have raised many antennas for what the coach was saying. And I really think it is unreasonable to expect a coach that is across the court from the C would be doing anything or even noticing this was said.
Peace
I completely agree that it won't raise many antennae. Exactly my point. We have gotten to the point where a coach has to throw his coat in the crowd or run onto the floor while screaming or tell us to F-off to get a T. It'll go the other way.

And it's a total cop-out for a crew to not be able to monitor the bench area because it's on the opposite end of the floor. We don't get to just ref (and manage) the half of the court that we're on.

Canuckrefguy makes a good point. When a ref calls a T, it seems that the usual reaction is.... "couldn't you have done something to avoid the T." How about if the reaction is, "good courage in calling the T... now the coach will know he can't pull that crap with the next crew."

Things trickle down from the NBA. Just watch...... there will be more and more emphasis on cracking down on coach behavior at the college level over the next few years. Those officials who don't learn to ref the sidelines will end up losing opportunities.