View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker View Post
I agree. Looking at the replay the defender is still moving forward when the offensive player has both feet off the ground. He is definitely not set.
There is nothing in the rule that says he has to be set. Absolutely nothing in the rules supports your assertion here.

And as I have said before, this is why you cannot use a still picture to determine much of anything. I see a shooter with a foot still on the floor at the time of this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker View Post
The offensive player was undercut in this instance. Even if not airborne, if someone is moving with momentum and in the act of jumping he has no ability to avoid making contact with a defender that sets right under him in that moment.

Craft moved forward and got his feet out before his body caught up with him and there is no way the offensive player could have avoid the contact. The NCAA should really review this and adjust the rules to ensure that the defense can not run this kind of play as the whole point of the restricted area is to limit collisions and injuries.

I think he was airborne before Craft was set but that is somewhat subjective. It's very close. But regardless, there was no way for the offensive player to avoid the contact. Craft came forward as he was jumping towards the basket. This is exactly what the NCAA is trying to eliminate.
Again, nothing in the rule about being set. Being set is not the requirement. All that is required is the defender be in LGP before an airborne shooter leaves the floor and they cannot take away their ability to land if they were not in position. It only requires the defender be vertical and have their feet in position before the shooter leaves the floor. I do not think the NCAA needs to review anything, I think you need to learn what the actual rule says and not use some standard that does not apply. I will say this again, it might have been a block as the video would be more helpful, but the standard you are using is not rules based at this time.

Peace