View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Add to Illinois Rating Info

I belong to the Bloomington-Normal Officials Association and the association meets in a building right next to the IHSA HQ in Bloomington. Dave Gannaway (sp??), (President) spoke to our association one evening about how FOOTBALL playoffs were being assigned in Illinois - (I don't know if this is being used by basketball but believe that if it isn't, it will be soon). There are a number of different criteria he is using.

1. Number of Varsity Contests officiated.

2. Coaches/Ad's ratings

3. Assignors "top (10 or some number) officials in the association" list.

4. Certified Officials ratings

5. Certification Level (Registered, Recognized, Certified) - which obviously takes into account number of years of service

6. Test Score on mandatory exam.

There may be others but these are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

Each area is given (I believe equal) weight and the best overall "score" gets assigned to playoff games with the highest scores getting the state games. He only takes a certain number of officials from any one "REGION". Each region is represented by a proportionate number of officials from that region.

Mr Gannaway seems pretty pleased with the results thus far.

But please keep in mind that this is information I gleened from the conversation.

As far as officials working College ball, I know of a man personally who has worked some D3 college ball in his FIRST YEAR!! Talk about setting yourself up for a beating!