View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 23, 2013, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Couple of observations here, coming from a long time former coach and current long time umpire. And no, we don't shoot coaches, and for sure we don't shoot moms. Well, we don't shoot moms.

My son started throwing, hitting and catching a ball when he was 2 or 3. He didn't actually start 'organized' ball until he was 6. It might be a little early to start at 4, particularly if the coaches are looking for the most talented kids to play, in T Ball no less.

As was mentioned, get a wiffle ball, tennis ball, and a bat and just have him play catch and hit. Using a Tee will help, although sometimes hitting off a Tee is a challenge at first. I'm not much on running laps at this early age, the time running would actually be more well spent on fundamentals and learning the game.

I would want to find a way for your husband to participate as much as he is physically able, given his restrictions. How about if he put the ball on the tee for the kids? At a minimum, he can support and provide encouragement to your son and the other children.

Best of luck to you, don't let a few bad apple coaches ruin the fun of this wonderful game. Let us know how it is going through out the season.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.