View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again from all of you. I'm still trying to believe all of this happened.

It's funny but in some ways I guess it was supposed to happen this way. Normally when I get on the bus to work I put my cell on silent since I'm not supposed to use it during the ride. Friday night it was on vibrate...which meant I heard/felt the call from my son as I was getting on the bus. If I'd made it all the way into NYC then checked my phone there's no way I could've done the game. Other factoids:

*As nice as the locker area is at MSG, high school officials don't get food. Tons of water and Gatorade - and very hot showers - but no eats
*We had no alternate. The guy scheduled to be the alt had to work Saturday. I kept joking with the timer & shot-clock operator (both officials whom I know) that they were one pulled hamstring from being out there.
*At halftime, one of my partners says, "Hey, did you see at courtside that guy...Malik Sealy...busting on us on TV!" My other partner and I looked at each other and he says, very slowly, "Umm...Malik Sealy is dead. Do you mean John Salley?" Yeah, thankfuly, it was John Salley.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)