View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:29pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So, if the runner achieves first and the OC asks you to ask your partner if it's a swing so she can stay you'd say no?
I was going to say absolutely. But going back through the NFHS rule book and case book, I cannot find anything that says requests for help on a checked swing can only be done by the defense.

I have an old e-copy of the ASA Rule Book, and it only mentions in a rule supplement that the catcher requests for help. But it doesn't specifically prohibit the offense from doing so. I'll have to reference the latest ASA rule book when I get home to see if there's something more definitive.

As for the NCAA, the rule book does allow either the offense or defense to ask for help, under rule 11.13.5. But it also says the umpire may (but not shall) ask for help.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker