Thread: Pitcher
View Single Post
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have read that rule many times as well as a number of other official rules and interpretations books, casebooks, BRD, Evans, etc. I also look around for a forum to discuss a specific point of how folks are interpreting rules.

I doubt that qualifies as a lazy umpire. If there's no such thing as a dumb question, let's see if we can make it so there is no such thing as a dumb answer.

Let me then state what part of the rule is "bugging" me. In 8.01b "Before assuming such Set Position, the pitcher make any natural preliminary motion associated such as that known as "the stretch".

Its the "any natural preliminary motion" piece that I was looking for some help on. The book only describes that it could possibly be the motion that people associate with the stretch. But what other motions are allowed?

I am simply looking for what it would take for you to balk a pitcher between the stretch and the set. Example: pitcher in stretch looks in for sign, raises up a bit and then comes back down to get a new sign. Or, while in the stretch, the pitcher has the ball in his hand at his side but is dangling it back and forth. Or he repeatedly turns his shoulders to look back at 3rd base.

What were once vices are now habits