View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I don't believe that college is more physical than the NBA (except on perimeter) but I do believe that it has become too physical. Looking at all of men's college ball - not just Div 1 -- it is brutal in the post. Watched a smaller college play about a month ago and they had recruited one of their football players about 6'7 300 lbs ---------- just to be physical inside. To me (and boy I'm dating myself) that isn't what basketball should be about. Yes, I understand players are bigger, stronger, faster but it seems that it is just about being physical inside.

I don't believe it is the only reason for the decrease in collegiate scoring but it sure has contributed.

On a personal note, my son who is about 5' 10- 5" 11 and 178 is working out like crazy to gain an additional 10 lbs by fall to prepare him for college ball. He told me " I have to do this to keep up ".

I don't know the answer but I know when I officiate Varsity boys ball it seems as though the physical play seen in college has migrated to HS .

Love the game , just hate to see it keep going in this direction.