View Single Post
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

This is our first year playing in this league. I'm trying to convince the league to not keep score for the 6U league, concentrate on skill development, and use the coaches to "officiate" the game. We have some managers in the 6U that play to win, restrict the girls from throwing and make no changes to their lineups. They have one or two girls that basically try to chase every runner down.

All the 8U Dixie leagues in our town use at least one paid umpire. The newer and less experienced umpires usually work these games; however, the umpire that made the call has worked HS ball in the past. I can accept the runner interference call (judgement) but I disagreed with the resulting runner placement.

I quietly spoke with the umpires between innings to inquire about the call. He stated that the runner on first had passed second when the interference had occurred. I asked about the delayed dead ball call. He stated that obstruction and interference are both delayed dead ball calls.

I talked to the runner, my DD, and told her to run behind the fielder next time. She said that the coach told her that she was not allowed to go behind the fielder.

Of course, my DD's coaches also blamed the loss on bad officiating but forgot about the three girls tagged between 3rd and home on risky baserunning tactics. Twice to end the inning with the middle of the lineup batting and bases full.

It wa a frustrating night as a parent and a umpire observer.

[Edited by alabamabluezebra on May 20th, 2003 at 10:33 AM]