Thread: Dallas-SA
View Single Post
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I just typed my response and hit some "magic button" on the keyboard and it disappeared. AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
So here goes again...

About the fouling.

In the last TWO minutes of the 4th quarter or overtime, if a player is fouled AWAY FROM THE PLAY, the penalty is to reward the offended team one free throw (which any player on the floor at the time may shoot) plus possession.
I believe this rule came about due to Wilt Chamberlain's poor free throw shooting and the fact that teams would take their chances fouling him to get the ball back at the end of a tight game.

In the first three quarters, there is a similar penalty when a player is fouled PRIOR to the ball being released on a free throw. That penalty is the offended PLAYER is awarded TWO free throws no matter if the penalty situation exists.

IMO the NBA rule is superior to what is done in NF/NCAA.
Under those rules, you have the "option" of calling an intentional foul in those cases, but I stress it is an "option". Make it automatic. JMO

Now about stopping play. Officials in the NBA are not allowed to stop play for an injured player. (unless that player is bleeding excessively)
Usually teams will call a timeout when a teammate is down, or will foul to stop the play.
I was surprised that neither happened in Monday's game when Rose was down.

I know that in a HIgh School or College game, I would stop play if the player was in danger.
Not allowed however in the NBA.

Drake