View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
I try to get better all the time. My goal this year is to be UIC for the state final - I've worked on a finals crew three of the past four seasons. That's why I occasionally participate and frequently read online forums - there's generally good stuff here when there isn't petty personal sniping going on.
I don't think anyone was sniping when they offered their take on your handling of the situation. You're an umpire, I know you have thicker skin than that..

Quote:
I wasn't looking for advice on this one, but really do appreciate the input. My partner, who is the president of our association, said he'd have done the same thing. The state association upheld the ejection. Some of you will say that doesn't necessarily justify it, but it suits me.
I don't read one single person suggesting the ejection was not justified. It was the threat you issued before hand that many (self included) thought was not the best game management. IMHO (and, as you say, YMMV) - you're better off ignoring the first quote from the kid. If and when he turns around and says something aggressively toward you, you've got every right to let him sit down for the day. But if you chose to respond to his question, either just the facts "It was a strike" or "It caught the corner", or something more pointed like "That's enough" or "We're not going there" is fine - in my experience, the "don't do that again or I'll eject you" approach is ALWAYS bad.

Quote:
Nobody answered this question: "What level of back talk do you accept when the second, third, and fourth players spout off? Where do you draw the line?" I genuinely would be interested to gather opinions here. I figure most of you will say tell the coach to handle it - that's my usual course of events if it's just a comment or two from the bench or a batter.
Ok, I'll answer.

What you say he did the first time doesn't equate to back-talk in my book. Players don't like calls - it happens. One line, especially while walking away, is almost always best ignored unless it's profane or personal. Turning back toward you is when this kid crossed the line. Someone WAY better than me, long ago, told me to use the 3 P's, and we've seen it here numerous times. Profane, Prolonged, or Personal - that's where the player cannot go. To try to answer you question ... one kid, disagreeing with one call (even loudly) while walking away from me is nothing. 2nd kid does the same thing? I'm probably asking the coach to get his players comments reeled in. Or ... first kid stops and turns back to say more - "That's enough" .

... and to answer some of the other commentary in this thread, "That's enough" is enough. Using the word Warning makes it obvious and clear, but if a coach or player doesn't understand that "that's enough" IS a warning, he deserves his ejection when he keeps going.

West Houston Mike