View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 12:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

This type of play happened to me very early in my college career. In fact, it generated so much conversation in the locker room after the game, that I could tell you the exact teams and location of the game.

I'm the C opposite the table. Team A has the ball in the frontcourt. The ball swings quickly to my side of the court and is deflected by the defense creating a loose ball. Players dive onto the court. The ball is picked up by a player from Team B who is standing. He quickly turns to pass the ball to B2 who is wide open for what will be an easy lay-up at the other end.

However, as B1 is turning to pass the ball, A1 has both his arms wrapped around B1's leg.

I no-called it. B2 got the easy 2 points.

Here's the problem. Coach B saw the obvious holding foul and was upset that I didn't call it.

So the discussion in the locker room centered around whether to call the foul, because the coach obviously saw it and thought it should be called; or to allow the advantage and the easy basket. The consensus was to call it because it was obvious.

I said that if I called it, it would have to be intentional. (This was before the switch to the "Flagrant 1" language.) But nobody really liked that alternative, either. But I stand by the thought-process of that type of foul, if called, being an intentional foul. It's clearly not playing the ball.

However, in my particular situation, I still think the no-call was better, since the result was the easy lay-up.