View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Rut's math ($600 per season for a third official) would be a little low here. Varsity officials get $77/game (so 10 home games would add $770), plus there must be gender parity: so if the boys get 3 officials, so must the girls. That doubles the cost to about $1,500/year.
First of all these were some rough estimates based on a couple of things. Not everyone gets paid $60 for a varsity game. Some get paid more, some get paid less. Many here pay less depending on the conference you work for. Private school conferences tend to pay more as well. And those schools do not have a girls basketball program to even factor in the cost. Public schools do, but they have other constant revenue coming into the school that private schools do not. Private schools often have to raise their money and Charter schools are corporate owned, so that is apart of their mission to pay for activities that the school participates in. Even if you factor in both programs less than $2000 is not a lot of money when you consider all the expenses that go into running an athletic program.

So my example would apply to many schools and certainly not all of them. One private school conference I am going to work will pay $75 each for a 3 person crew next year. And I would expect a lower payment if we worked 3 person as opposed to 2 person. Two officials are doing more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
I have talked with many veteran officials and it disappoints me that most are not interested in making less money and don't see the advantages of a 3-person crew. At a post-season scrimmage last week with a 3-person crew (two teams who will be in the state tournament), both coaches affirmed they do not like a third official. That is hardly a "sample" of high school coaches, but I have heard it regularly enough that there must be more than a little truth to it.

As a mere official, with no other portfolio in public schools, association politics or state office hierarchy, I am interested in hearing how other states got 3 officials on their games. Where did the push come from? Officials? Coaches? A strong state office?
My state went to 3 person back in 98 for all playoff games and that pretty much changed the landscape. It took a few years for some schools to go that way full time, but when schools realized that they would not get a chance to see either the same officials or the same style of officiating in the post season that they do in the regular season, they changed quickly. There are a couple of schools that you can find that will assign non-conference games 2 person, but that is few and far between. A school that had some controversy about some transfers played their regular season games at home with 2 person. Well they lost in the Sectional Semi-final the other day in their own gym and I wonder if their adjusting to 3 person played a role. And they were bigger and taller than everyone in their class of 1A which is the smallest class.

Peace