View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

For those of us who work in a state where 2-person is the norm, this is an interesting, but purely theoretical discussion. My state tournament game last night used three officials, but that is virtually the only time 3 officials are used in public high school games in Massachusetts.

I have heard several reasons why we don't do it here:
  • The officials don't want to take a pay cut.
  • The schools can't afford more money.
  • The coaches don't like a third set of eyes.
Rut's math ($600 per season for a third official) would be a little low here. Varsity officials get $77/game (so 10 home games would add $770), plus there must be gender parity: so if the boys get 3 officials, so must the girls. That doubles the cost to about $1,500/year.

I have talked with many veteran officials and it disappoints me that most are not interested in making less money and don't see the advantages of a 3-person crew. At a post-season scrimmage last week with a 3-person crew (two teams who will be in the state tournament), both coaches affirmed they do not like a third official. That is hardly a "sample" of high school coaches, but I have heard it regularly enough that there must be more than a little truth to it.

As a mere official, with no other portfolio in public schools, association politics or state office hierarchy, I am interested in hearing how other states got 3 officials on their games. Where did the push come from? Officials? Coaches? A strong state office?